About Our Church
New Hope Missionary Baptist Church History
New Hope Missionary Baptist Church was organized on May 31, 1841; its pastor was The Reverend J.W. Pawley. The Church was first located on Old Georgetown Road about 2 1⁄2 miles from Mt Pleasant. This first church building was constructed with unfinished lumber and logs to support the framed structure. The church’s congregation was small in number. Baptism was held at Hardy Green’s Landing. There was a tidal watch because baptisms could only be held when the tides were low. After the death of Reverend Pawley, Reverend Smith was called to become Pastor. Under his pastorate, new and old members were baptized at the landing. The church remained on the Georgetown Road for many years. Later it was relocated to Highway 17 North. This plot of land, one acre in size, was purchased for the sum of ten dollars ($10.00) from Mrs. Betsy Green. The deed was signed by members and is recorded in the courthouse for public record.
The third church building was built on this site and was pastored by Reverend Harry Vaughn. He pastored until his retirement. The deacons then appointed Reverend A.W., Wright. His largest host of members was in the year 1932; all these members were baptized in the churchyard pool on the north side of the church, which became obsolete in 1950. After Reverend Wright’s retirement, Reverend I. Smalls and then the Reverend Jackson from 15 miles from Awendaw, South Carolina pastored for a short time. Thereafter, Reverend Gladsden from Charleston pastored and during his tenure did minor renovations to the church. After Reverend Gladsden, the church was led by Reverend Henry Anderson and Reverend A. W. Green.
In the year 1946, Reverend S.T. Simmons was appointed to New Hope by the officers and members to become the Pastor of the church. At that time the church was very small and several members were up in age. In 1960 the officers and members decided to erect a new building. This lovely sanctuary was constructed of cement blocks... As the years passed the church was remolded. This is the third building on this present site. Reverend Simmons was pastor for the next 34 years until his death in 1981. His pastorate was the longest in the history of the church. The present Deacon Board, Usher Board, The Choir, the Pulpit Aid board, the willing workers Club, and The Missionary Board were all reorganized by Reverend Simmons. Ninety percent of the members have been baptized by the Reverend S. T Simmons. These baptisms have taken place indoors for the past 35 years. After Reverend S. T. Simmon's death, the church was without a pastor for 1 year.....
In December 1981, The Reverend Anthony Lowe was installed on January 31, 1982. He pastored until the year 1987, Reverend Lowe was the youngest minister to pastor at New Hope Missionary Baptist Church. Reverend Jenkins was nominated to become pastor in February 1988 and was installed as the twelfth pastor of this growing church on April 17, 1988. He completed the S.T. Simmons Fellowship Hall and put in place the first set of by-laws for the church. During Hurricane Hugo, he sustained the church's hope and calm within the congregation Reverend Parker Mitchell was called to serve as the 13th pastor in 1995. Under his leadership, stained glass windows were installed throughout the church. He served until he was called home to be with the Lord in 2006.
Reverend Joseph Oree Sr became the 14th Pastor of New Hope Missionary Baptist Church on August 6, 2007. His love of God is in his heart and is reflected in his actions. Under his leadership, the church begins to grow spiritually and financially. The fellowship came together with a new desire and hope. The male choir has been re-activated and inspired, and mid-week prayer and bible study is held weekly. Three members of the pulpit staff have been ordained to go out and spread the gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Proudly, three new Deacons have been added to the fellowship of New Hope Missionary Baptist Church.
Members who have not been a part of the church workforce have gotten involved by joining church committees. A hospitality committee was established and as a result, the church sanctuary and fellowship hall were painted, and a new updated sound system was installed. In 2012 with the expansion of 526/Highway 17 North, and the Hungry Neck extension the church began a beatification project to complement the road improvements. They began by developing a partnership with Trident Community College, to negotiate a plan to share the parking lot as it expanded. Further improvements to the church occurred under the leadership of Pastor Oree Sr, in coordination with the oversight, of the Deacons and Trustees. A dedicated committee was appointed to lead this effort. This included gravel and parking lot expansion, the design of a fence for the front of the church, a new church sign, and the ongoing brick memorial walkway project. Additionally, grave head markers were pressure washed for preservation. On January 13, 2016, the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church congregation, under the leadership of Pastor Oree Sr. stood firmly on being a powerful voice and active member in the Mount Pleasant, South Carolina community.
On December 2018 Reverend Dr. Levi H. Wright was elected by the members and installed by the Deacons, as the 15th Pastor of New Hope Missionary Church. During his tenure, due to the pandemic; of 2019 until October 2021 THE
DOORS OF NEW HOPE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH were closed. The world was plagued with what is known as the one-hundred-year pandemic, Covid-19 a super pandemic the world had not seen since 1918. In 2021, although this was an unfortunate time in New Hope Missionary Baptist Church ONGOING LEGACY, under Reverend Wright’s leadership he installed three (3) new deacons. Deacons, Elijah Brown, Jr., Andrew Chisolm, and Zob Dove. Installation services took place under the beautiful oak trees, in the rear of the church. During this same timeline, although we did not fellowship in the sanctuary, Rev. Wright continued to encourage and minister to the NEW HOPE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH congregation.
Members were able to connect and fellowship to Sunday Services via conference calls. Also, with the support of the Associate Ministers, Reverend Wright organized ‘The Brotherhood Association.”
New Hope Missionary Baptist Church History
"New Hope Missionary Baptist Church is committed to continuing to preserve its important history in this community."
Keeping the Faith
“Upon this Rock I will Build My Church; and the Gates of hell Shall not prevail
against it.” MATTHEW: 16:18
As we look toward the future it is imperative that we remain resilent to continuing God’s work for His people.
Our endeavors for NEW HOPE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH is to communicate and work with The Town of Mount Pleasant, SC Department of Transportation and Charleston County to secure a Historical Marker for this Ancestral,/Culturally Historical site, Located in the GULLAH GEECHEE CORRIDOR at 1541 Highway 17 North, MOUNT PLEASANT, SC.
New Hope Missionary
1541 N Hwy 17
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Tel: (843) 884-4360